Sunday 11 September 2011

Remembering

 As I was walking my youngest daughter from primary school on Friday, I overheard the conversation of a young British schoolgirl telling her mum about the September 11th attacks,  which they had discussed at school that day.  Today, as I remember that day, I am talking to my children about it too.  It has become history for everyone around the world, whether we want it or not.

Living as an ex-pat in England for the last 11 years, my exposure to it has been watered down over the years but today on the 10th anniversary, I will choose again to remember and feel, as much as the day it happened. My greatest connection to the event is that I am American, and I had been to the twin towers some 25 years ago.  They were unbelievable and enthralling and I can only imagine how exciting a place it must have been to work in and see those buildings every day.   Now, for the first time the general public can see the memorial and the partly constructed  ‘One World Trade Center ‘ (freedom tower) which is due to be completed 2013. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3797039/London-unveils-memorial-for-911.html The dedication ceremony will be today and it will start to be open to the public tomorrow.  ww.911memorial.org   Earlier in the week, the mayor of London unveiled a memorial sculpture in London made from wreckage.  66 UK citizens lost their lives in 9/11. Mixed reviews over this so far in the UK, as there isn’t an official memorial to the 7/7 terrorist attacks in London yet.
South Tower, viewing platform
The BBC are offering coverage of the 10th anniversary at the New York Memorial starting at 130pm today going on until 415pm, although the event in America will last until 11pm Eastern Time.  There will be moments of silence, tributes and tears in the new Manhattan skyline that has changed itself, changed the world, and changed us.  My youngest daughter just saw my old photos of the twin tower and said ‘ Wow and was it as tall as the Eiffel tower?’….and I said…’it was taller’. Some will say it is media overload and that they would rather forget. I am glad however that they are helping me and my family remember a little bit more this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment