Sunday 3 July 2011

Happy 4th of July



Most 4th of July's I've spent away from the U.S. have been quiet. We might frequent a KFC and call it a day. This year we decided to have a little 4th of July celebration.  On the menu was chicken wings, hot dogs and pulled pork, with some mac n cheese and potato salad.  For desserts, brownie cake and key lime pie.
The Key Lime Pie was the star.  I can't remember the last time I made it, but the Joy of Baking recipe I used this time was simple and fool proof......digestive cracker crust (instead of graham cracker) , topped with a mix of 3 egg yolks, 1 can sweetened condensed milk and 150ml fresh lime juice. (I opted out of the whipped cream topping this time).  I did have to bake it a bit longer than the 15 minutes it said, but I find that quite common with my oven over here for some reason.  Both the kids had 2 helpings so no leftovers, I'm afraid. 
                                       Happy 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment